Honda Marine has introduced their all new BF100 horsepower (hp) 4-stroke engine, the most powerful outboard to join the Honda Marine mid-range engine lineup. Incorporating a host of Honda exclusives and technologically advanced features, the Honda BF100 marine outboard engine provides increased value and benefit to consumers who want solid and responsive power and maximum time on the water.
With a full-throttle RPM range of 5500-6300, the Honda BF100 is a high-performance, 4-cylinder, 1496cc (91.4ci) 4-stroke engine weighing in at 366 pounds (166 kg). The design and technology applied to the new Honda mid-range marine engine is the very same that powers Honda automobiles such as the Accord, CR-V, Civic, Fit, Odyssey, and Pilot. This cross-platform integration of technology illustrates the Honda commitment to high performance, fuel efficiency and environmental excellence for its customers.
“The new Honda BF100 marine engine is an important—and now, the most powerful— addition to our mid-range marine engines lineup, demonstrating our commitment to unparalleled performance, power and fuel efficiency,” said Mark DiPietro, senior manager, Honda Marine. “Our newest outboard model provides boaters more power from initial blast to top-end speed, with lighter weight and greater fuel efficiency than has ever been achieved in a mid-sized profile—all adding up to reliable performance for maximum time on the water.”
The Honda BF100 incorporates innovative, advanced design elements, making this all-new engine a leading mid-range outboard choice among today’s boating enthusiasts:
• Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control™ (VTEC™) utilizes mild cam lobes to operate intake valves at low rpm, then engages a high-output lobe for higher-rpm operation. The design provides a unique blend of power, torque, and efficiency at any speed. First debuted in the high-performance Acura NSX sports car, VTEC™ technology offers a broad, flat torque curve and smooth power delivery throughout the engine’s entire operating range, allowing the operator to enjoy outstanding performance and impressive fuel efficiency.
• The Boosted Low Speed Torque (BLAST®) System dramatically improves hole shot and acceleration by advancing ignition spark timing to within one degree of the knock limit during ‘hammer down’ acceleration. The resulting boost in available torque at low rpm contributes to a strong hole shot to get the boat up on plane quickly. The ignition spark timing is appropriately adjusted under slower throttle advancement, ensuring a leaner air/fuel mix and class-leading fuel efficiency.
• Lean Burn Control, a feature that automatically adjusts the air/fuel mix according to speed and load while maximizing power throughout the acceleration range—providing best-in-class fuel economy in cruise mode (2,000 to 4,500 rpm).
• Programmed Electronic Fuel Injection delivers the precise amount of fuel/air to each engine cylinder. The result is easy starting, along with instant throttle response and superior fuel efficiency.
• Superior battery charging is achieved with the Honda exclusive neodymium magnet flywheel. As a point of reference, the BF100 produces 44 total amps and 35 charging amps; measurements are taken at normal operating temperatures.
• A new, high performance gear case reduces drag, and minimizes hull porpoise and spray to increase acceleration and top speed.
In addition, the Honda BF100 engine is NMEA 2000® certified (parameters of this certification are defined and controlled by the U.S.-based National Marine Electronics Association). This accreditation means that the product has been tested to meet specific critical safety criteria and to correctly implement network management and messaging. NMEA developed this open architecture electronic protocol to allow engine data to be interfaced with a wide variety of name brand marine electronics. In meeting this certification, the BF100 does not require the added expense of proprietary gateway devices.
The all-new Honda BF100 outboard engine will be available at Honda Marine dealers nationwide beginning on January 4, 2016. All new Honda outboard engines sold for recreational use, including the new BF100, offer an industry-best True 5-year, non-declining limited factory warranty that is the same on the last day as it is on the first.
Honda Marine exclusively features four-stroke outboard engine technology for high fuel efficiency, quiet operation, and low emissions. Honda Marine outboards share the same unparalleled durability, quality, and reliability of its legendary automobiles. With models ranging from 2.3 to 250 horsepower, the Honda Marine full line of current production models certify to California Air Resources Board (CARB) 3-Star standards, ensuring their availability and regulatory compliance in all 50 states.
For more information visit www.hondamarine.com