This potato-based crab and vegetable soup is the perfect late-winter or early spring dish for lunch or appetizer for dinner that’s sure to warm you and your crew up.
- 4 slices quality-thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1½ cups Yukon gold potatoes, peeled, diced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeño, seeded, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 4 cupsfresh baby spinach, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups lump crabmeat (if using king or snow, cut into bite-size pieces)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, plus more to taste
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
In a soup pot; fry the bacon until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon drippings.
Stir in the onion, potatoes, jalapeño and garlic. Add the tomatoes and seasonings and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the onions are soft.
Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a slow boil. Cover and simmer 10 minutes or until the potatoes are nearly tender. Gently stir in the spinach, coconut milk, crabmeat, lime juice and reserved bacon. Ladle into warmed soup bowls and garnish with the green onions.